Owl Pellets
In class, I learned about owl pellets and it was very interesting because I had the rare chance to explore through the very matter that the owls ate. They are great creatures because of their amazing ability to separate the inedible material from the edible material in their meal from the edible material in the gizzard, or a muscular part of the stomach that acts as a filter. This filter-like organ helps owls to collect all of the indigestible material and let the digestible material pass through their bodies while absorbing the nutrients. After the separation is complete, the gizzard forms a ball, or 'pellet', of the remaining bones and fur. Now the owl is ready to begin the process of regurgitation of the pellet. the pellet begins a slow journey up the esophagus, and after a couple of hours, the pellet finally is expelled from the owl's mouth. Then when my class dissected the pellets, we could see the remains of the rodents and other animals that the owls consumed in their meals. This experiment was highly enjoyable because of the amount of knowledge that I was able to learn.
No comments:
Post a Comment